A one-day workshop Earth Science education will be conducted on 18th of December 2018 by CERG.
Human existence like all other living things on the planet is dictated by the terms of the earth. It is important that we understand the critical link between the earth, its resources and mankind. If we are to continue extracting resources to maintain a high quality of life, then we, as individuals and citizens, need to know more about our planet — its processes, its resources, and its environment. In a sense adopt a systems approach – an Earth Science Systems approach.
For this to happen, we have to begin inculcating this approach early in life. Unfortunately, teaching of earth sciences in schools has always been a major challenge in India. It has generally evolved from concepts in geography and social geography and has little emphasis on field work, activities and more importantly the ability to observe and think. To make a change requires new perspectives, new tools, and new approaches.
The workshop – ‘Earth Science Education – A design thinking approach’ is an introductory workshop on facilitating Earth Science classes with a different approach – incorporating the principles of design thinking into Earth Science teaching. Design thinking philosophy has been applied successfully across the globe, not just to design products and services but also to solve societal issues.
Who is it meant for?
For all school teachers of Geology, Geography, Environmental Sciences & Home schooling parents.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
- Earth – A systems approach
- Pedagogy, learning styles & Bloom’s taxonomy
- Big Ideas in earth science
- Design principles, education & teaching
- Basic elements / Facets of understanding
- Essential questions
- Designing learning activities
Date – 18TH DECEMBER 2018
Venue – Pune. Exact venue will be communicated to registered participants
An accomplished learning & development professional with excellent communication skills, Natraj has over 30 years of professional and training experience spanning diverse portfolios for large multinationals across petroleum, automobile and the IT enabled industries.
A certified trainer with several multinationals, he has run over 350 courses and trained around 9000 participants on a wide gamut of topics like Selling skills, Customer focused selling, Customer service, Business management, Leadership & Business planning, Innovation, Personal effectiveness, Team building, Quality etc.,
In addition, he has also been teaching post graduate courses in at University of Pune for over 30 years. More recently, he has been working in the field of societal Geosciences and GIS and has conducted workshops in Open Source data collection tools in India, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
- The workshop is free. However we expect that teachers who register will be present for the workshop.
- Registration for workshop is mandatory. Click here for registration
- Workshop is open to school teachers teaching Geography & Geology
- Further details on the workshop will be mailed to registered applicants.
- Number of participants is restricted so please register as soon as possible.
- Certificate of completion will be provided on satisfactory completion.
- Last date for registration is 12th December 2018.