The inaugural session of the Geoweek 2018
We are back with the popular Geoweek, the week long event conducted under the auspices of the “Geoscience for All” initiative, a volunteer initiative of professional Earth Scientists to promote Earth Literacy – translating information on Earth science into a language and learning that can be understood by the common man.
A week full of learning and fun activities…this year’s Geoweek will be held from 14th to 20th November 2022 at the Raja Ravi Varma Art gallery in the Jawaharlal Cultural Complex, Ghole road and other locations. As usual, the week will see a range of activities like Talks, Exhibitions, Contests, workshops and much more…
'Geodiversity' is a shortened version of the phrase 'geological and geomorphological diversity' and has been defined as 'the natural range (diversity) of geological (rocks, minerals, fossils), geomorphological (landform, processes) and soil features. It includes their assemblages, relationships, properties, interpretations and systems' (Gray, 2004)
In simple terms - Geodiversity is the variety of rocks, minerals, fossils, landforms, sediments and soils, together with the natural processes which form and alter them.
Geodiversity is important, as the various Earth’s material, its forms and the various processes that act on them are an integral part of Nature. Earth’s material and form are crucial for sustenance of ecosystems. Earth’s diversity, with its landform and dynamic processes provide substrate for habitat development.
Keeping this in view, we have “Geodiversity - Earth in its many forms” as the overall theme for the Geoweek this year.
ACTIVITIES IN THIS YEAR'S GEOWEEK
- Geoart (Drawing & Painting) Contest: This year we bring back the Art Contest. Participants will need to submit original artwork (drawings or painting) related to this year’s theme - Geodiversity. The contest is open to all irrespective of age. We will feature a virtual display of the selected artwork. For more information click here
- Geotales - the creative writing contest: This year we bring to you a novel contest - creative writing related to the Earth and this year’s theme - Geodiversity. Once again, this is open to all. For more information click here
- Geosnap - The International Photo Contest. Open to all individuals across the world. The top 25 selected photographs will be displayed virtually. Like in all other contests, theme is Geodiversity. For more information click here
- Geotrail - The geological field trip. Weather permitting, the ever-popular field trip to places of Geological interest will once again be a part of the Geoweek 2022. The trip will include visits to some of the geologically interesting sites around Pune. The tour will have qualified & professional geologists as Guides. Travel to site location will be by bus. Watch this space for more information. For more information click here
- Workshops: A very innovative and useful workshop based on Earth science will be hosted during the Geoweek 2022. Watch this space for more information click here
and the big surprise - the launch of a very exciting and enjoyable outdoor learning exercise.... Watch this space for updates.