INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON SAR INTERFEROMETRY USING FREE & OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE AND OPEN DATA
A two-day Workshop (WS) for post-graduate students and young researchers will be held on 26 August and 2 September 2023.
Day 1: 26 August (Sat) 2023.
Day 2: 02 September (Sat) 2023.
- Geoinformatics Lab., Osaka Metropolitan University (Japan)
- Geomatics in Earth sciences group (HUMG, Vietnam)
- Naresuan University, Phitsanulok. (Thailand)
- International Institute of Information Technology (I2IT), (India)
- Centre for Education & Research in Geosciences (India)
The workshop aims to provide insights on InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar) for detecting ground deformation. The theory data processing workflow for InSAR will be explained and demonstrated using Free and Open Source software and Open Remote Sensing Data. The contents covered in each section are as listed below;
Lectures and exercises will be conducted to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental theoretical concepts underlying SAR and InSAR.
Details are listed below
- Theory of InSAR
- Applications of InSAR
- How to access SAR data
- SNAP install
This course will encompass the practical implementation of repeat-pass InSAR with the aid of the SNAP software. The hands on session will involve software installation and the processing of test data sets to generate standard interferograms. The practice exercises will specifically employ Sentinel-1 TOPSAR.
- Two-pass interferometry
- Data Processing workflow using Sentinel-1A images in SNAP
- TOPSAR images processing for 2016 Kumamoto earthquake
- Example of InSAR application for detecting land subsidence will also be briefly presented
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: Restricted to 30 (+-5)
WORKSHOP SCHEDULE (All times are GMT)
DAY 1: 26 August (Sat) 2023.
|03:00 - 03:15||Opening Session -
Dr Venkatesh RAGHAVAN.
|04:00 - 06:00||Introduction to InSAR and data processing using SNAP -
Dr. Tran Van ANH
DAY 2: 02 September (Sat) 2023.
|03:00 - 05:00||Session 2 : Detecting and mapping ground deformation through InSAR processing.
(Hands on using in SAR datasets related to the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake) -
Dr. Tran Van ANH
|05:00 - 05:15||Closing -
|Post-Graduate Students :||25 USD *|
|Young Researchers employed at University / Research Institutes :||50 USD|
*Proof of full-time student status is required
- Dr. Tran Van ANH, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology (VN)
- Dr Ho Dinh DUAN, International University-VNU-HCM (VN)
- Dr. Tatsuya NEMOTO, Osaka Metropolitan University (JP)
- Dr Rajesh VATTIKUTI, International Institute of Information Technology (IN)
- Dr Sittichai CHOOSUMRONG, Naresuan University (TH)
- Participants need to install SNAP and the Sentinel Toolboxes  on their computer.
- They will need signup to SentinelHub  and download relevant data before the start of the workshop.
- Basic knowledge of Remote Sensing is necessary to follow the workshop.
- Participants will be expected to complete some preparatory exercises before attending the training workshop.
- Ensure that you have a good, stable Internet connectivity.
- The workshop will be conducted in lecture style where participants will not be replicating the processing steps on their computer during sessions.
- Participants will follow the processing steps after the sessions and complete assignments on their own.
- Only participants successfully completing mid and final assignments will be awarded workshop completion certificates.
- Final assignment should be submitted within one month after conclusion of workshop.
- Post workshop follow-up Q&A will be done using a Bulletin Board to for a period of 15 days after the workshop.
- Participants who are unable to complete assignments will receive attendance certificate only.
- Very limited number of workshop fee waivers will be offered to deserving candidates on basis of competitive selection.
Last date for booking a seat for the workshop is 19th August 2023 (Anywhere on Earth (AoE) Time zone).